The Evolution of Martial Arts and the Modern Warrior.
Sensei Derek Bindner has been training in the martial arts since 1986, and is the owner, founder, and creator of the unique practice of Aiki-jitsu Fusion. He currently holds the rank of 6th degree black belt in this integrated style (originally created in 1997), that focuses on the practical knowledge and application of the martial and warrior arts. Aiki-jitsu Fusion is designed to take students from white belt beginner, to advanced black belt. This style is both cumulative and progressive, introducing the student to new material at each belt level, which provides a continuous challenge both physically and mentally, throughout one’s martial arts journey.
Aiki-jitsu Fusion pulls from sensei Bindner’s lifetime of real-world experiences, and training in many disciplines, and focuses primarily on Traditional Japanese Ju-jitsu, Yoshinkan Aikido, and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. Stretching, critical thinking, and verbal conflict navigation strategies are woven into the training, to deliver a well-rounded warrior martial arts education. Aiki-jitsu Fusion is NOT a Mixed Martial Art, rather it is an integrated, and sophisticated practice, that emphasizes personal growth, leadership fitness, and self-protection, for the purpose of self-preservation. The training is delivered in a safe, fun, and supportive, family environment, suitable, and appropriate for each age group. As a student at Bindner Academy, you will be introduced to each of the styles as they are listed below. A brief description of each of these warrior and martial arts, and disciplines are as follows:
- Jiu-Jitsu (gentle/adaptable science). Both the martial art of Japanese Jiu-jitsu, and the combat sport of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu serve as the foundation for our strategic and physical self-protection component. It is utilized for both its striking, and close encounter grappling techniques, from standing, and on the ground.
- Aikido (way of harmony and energy). Aikido serves as the foundation for our self-mastery/preservation component. It is utilized for its strategic movement, multiple attacker science, energy management, and the mind/body connection. It consists largely of graceful, flowing movements, with its powerful centering, and breathing techniques. This system teaches alignment, fluidity, and mental/physical balance when employing techniques.
- Universal Movement . Stretching, breathing and movement instills the concepts of self-awareness, anatomical structure, and active recovery. We use this practice for improving core strength, range of motion, durability, mobility, flexibility, and longevity of training.
- Functional Fitness . Serves as the foundation for our cardio vascular, and agility building component. The way our bodies function properly, and move naturally is important in our practice. It helps us to move our joints, and move load, with power and ease.
- Sheepdog/Modern Psychology. Serves as the foundation for our environmental awareness, critical thinking, threat detection/assessment, strategic mindset, and physical/verbal de-escalation techniques.
Built on a foundation of self-protection and self-mastery, were tradition meets sport, meets reality.
Translated from Japanese, Aiki-jitsu means “The Science of Intercepting Force/ Blending Energy”, and is gentle on the body. Aiki-jitsu Fusion (aka AJF), is constantly being up-dated and refined, to keep relevant with modern times. AJF strives to navigate conflict peacefully, ethically, responsibly, and without aggression or violence when/if possible. AJF is a safe, fun, and versatile practice that can be learned by children, teens, and adults of any age. The physical techniques cover ranges of combat, strategic maneuvering, escapes, striking, throwing, take-downs, pins, chokes, joint locks and escorting techniques, in both standing and ground control. AJF utilizes single and multiple opponent control strategies, as well as armed and unarmed scenario-based training to educate, equip, and prepare each individual for real world theory and application. Age appropriate, on-line, and in person, private and group classes are available.
How Does Aiki-jitsu Fusion Work?
Aiki-jitsu Fusion emphasizes “an early neutralization of an attack”. Of particular importance is the timing of an offensive and/or defensive technique, either to blend or to neutralize an attack’s effectiveness, and to use the force of the attacker’s movement against him/her. Aiki-jitsu Fusion works consistently because it is based on employing simple, applied psychology, and physics, using proper body-mechanics, bio-mechanics, timing, angles, interception of force, and redirection of energy. What sets AJF training apart from others, is the teaching methodology, which uses a building block approach to learning and understanding modern psychology, and strategic mindset, with functional, and fluid movement. Students work with “partners” instead of “opponents” to mitigate injury for both participants . This type of intelligent, and refined training will also lower the amount of energy the individual expends to accomplish his/her objectives. This creates an enjoyable experience and fosters an accelerated learning environment. Our secret is in our training method. Each technique must meet the following requirements: easy to learn, be universal, easy to remember, AND easy to execute under pressure. The Bindner Academy believes that you can learn a highly effective self-protection form of martial art in a traditional Japanese training atmosphere, without having to engage in external competitions.
Aiki-jitsu Fusion Syllabus
AJF hosts an innovative, and carefully designed curriculum with a variety of basic movements and functional techniques that can be learned with training and practice. Classes are small, challenging, and fun, yet respectful — with no hype or commercialization, and with a focus on SAFETY FIRST. AJF can complement any martial art. In fact, many of our students and instructors are ranked in other styles as well. It is suitable for beginners, intermediate, and advanced students alike. AJF is an effective, non-violent, non-competitive, and non-aggressive martial art style, suitable for children, teens, women, and men.
Aiki-jitsu UNIVERSITY (Optional Adult Up-grade Program)
Bindner Academy understands that some students have the desire to “pressure test” their knowledge, skills, and abilities. This is exactly why we offer this optional “aliveness training” up-grade program. Aiki-jitsu UNIVERSITY is the perfect opportunity for those who wish to take their training to the next level, and challenge themselves mentally, physically, spiritually, and emotionally.
Students can further their personal warrior/martial arts education, in a variety of skill building “aliveness training” modes. Referred to as “reality-based” training, practiced in a safe and controlled environment, is the closest we can come to actual combat, without major injuries.
Warrior/Martial arts training is very rewarding and life changing when the philosophy and the teacher align with the students’ values, goals, and expectations.